Linuxconf and adding new users

Hello,

I am new to linux, but not to unix systems, and am trying to add a user
(i.e not root to my Redhat 5.1 system.) I do this using the GUI to
linuxconf and everything goes fine. However, if I log out and log in as
the new user, or another, existing user (not root) I find that there is a
control panel process running (under root), which uses almost all of my
CPU, and never seems to complete (I have to kill it at shutdown time-up to
3 hours later). Does anyone know what is going on, and what I can do.....

If I kill the process I have no trouble using the new user account, I'm
just worried there is something wrong.....

Thanks in advance

Stuart Littlefair