Re: Linux security

My impression is that FreeBSD is generally more secure than Linux.
However, Linux is MUCH easier to administer.  If you apply ALL of the
security updates and configure your Linux system properly, it should be
secure as the FreeBSD box.

Linux probably has a bigger install base than other FREE versions of UNIX.
This means more hackers are using it and are looking for the bugs it may
contain.  I use to manage a FreeBSD box, but elected to migrate the system
to Linux simply because it is much easier to use RPM to update a RH box
than the SUP, CSUP, or Makefiles on the FreeBSD box.  I think that FreeBSD
has three different ways to upgrade application because none of them are
easy to use or work on a consistant basis.

I would suggest using Linux, keeping up-to-date with the updates and
turning off ANY service that you don't need.

| Bryan Swann (swann nosc mil)  803/566-0086   803/554-0015 (Fax)          |
| Eagan McAllister Associates, Inc.                                        |
|  "Everything must be working perfectly, cause I don't smell any smoke"   |