Help:General protection fault in Linux??????

If anyone can help here I'd immensely appreciate it!

The system is a 300Mhz PII with an Abit LX6 board, 128 megs ram, Adaptec
2940UW SCSI, Intel 10/100 Ethercard.

It's intermittently just freezing up.  If anyone could just point me to
what hardware could be causing this (or software), it's a new system,
I'll just replace it.  Also, on startup, the motherboard is halting at
bios (award 4.51PG) often, displaying "CMOS checksum error - Defaults
loaded"  sound like a bad motherboard to me, correct?

Thanks for any help people!

--Alexander Woodby