RE: Telneting & FTPing to my Linux Box from a Win98 Box

If you can ping then you are probably ok, as far as your setting goes.
Assuming of course you are using redhat, which has telnet already
configured for you.  Yes you can use root as your logon name.  Maybe it
isn't a good idea (ok it isn't a good idea) but you can.  What you have
to do is edit /etc/securetty file and put ttyp0, ttyp1, ttyp2 (that
should be enough, but you can go as many as 8 or so).  That will allow
you to use the root account over telnet.

Well hope this helps you
Marek Dohojda
Carrera Computers, inc.