From: dja genesis mclean org [mailto:dja genesis mclean org]
Sent: Wednesday, 7 October 1998 1:08
To: redhat-install-list redhat com
Subject: can't dial out from Linux

Hi Linuxites!

I am a newbie with a problem that has been there since I installed RH
on my Intel Pentium II a few weeks ago: I can't get Linux to dial out
using the built-in modem.  Would anyone like to try their hand at this

* The modem type is  56K ITU v.90
* The modem dials fine from WINDOWS 98, it allows me to surf the net,
run ws-ftp, etc.
* When I run netcfg from X-windows, I go through all the expected steps
netfcg appears to accept the entry.  When I click on "activate" in the
Interfaces window (with ppp0 highlighted), the status for that line
to "active" but no dialing occurs.
* When I run minicom, it tells me that the modem is initialized, and
me to go through the sequence for dialing, but I don't hear any tones,
and it
simply counts down the 45 seconds and retries, without anything
   There is no response by minicom to typing any of these: AT<return>,
* The command line instructions (borrowed from PPP-setup tips at RedHat
        # cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
        # ./if-ppp ifcfg-ppp0 &
yield the following only:
        [1] 2212
* The proper ppp files and directories are all there in /etc/ppp (but
in /usr/sbin ... should there be symbolic links in /usr/sbin?)
* When I run "cat /proc/interrupts", it lists (among others):
        14: 12370 + ide0
        15:    39 + ide1
In particular, there is no IRQ labeled "serial" (should there be?)
* /dev/modem is a symbolic link to /dev/cua0.   Using modemtool I tried
this to /dev/cua1 ; this made no difference.  Likewise, changing it to
/dev/cua2 or to /dev/cua3 didn't help either.

I might believe that my scripts are set up incorrectly, etc., but since
I don't
hear any tones, isn't my problem more basic than that?

Much gratitude in advance

David Anick
dja genesis mclean org

  PLEASE read the Red Hat FAQ, Tips, Errata and the MAILING LIST
http://www.redhat.com/RedHat-FAQ /RedHat-Errata /RedHat-Tips
         To unsubscribe: mail redhat-install-list-request redhat com
                     with "unsubscribe" as the Subject.

	Problems should be addressed to <listmaster redhat com>.