getting Xfree86 resolution to stick? and an alt to ctrl-alt-keypad+?

Now that I have graphics :)  I would like X to come up always in a high
resolution. I tried re-running Xconfigurator and only selecting one high
res, true color option, but it still comes up in 640x480 (I think) and then
I have to ctrl-alt-+ to toggle through.

Related: is there a way to  remap ctrl-alt-keypad+ to something else? Or to
run a command that does the equivalent? My ergo keyboard doesn't have a
keypad, and so I had to switch temporarily to save myself from "huge
desktop fever"...

thanks,
Michael