SCSI card isn't recognized

This is a bit of a newbie question, but I can't get Redhat 5.2 to recognize my Adaptec AHA1505 SCSI adaptor. I type in aha152x=0x340,11,7,1 at the boot prompt, but there's still a scsi : 0 hosts message during boot. The adaptor works ok with NT. With Linux, I'm not sure the card is supported--some sources say it is, others don't mention it. Am I using the wrong message? Do I need to get a different board--if so, what is a good, cheap, non-booting board that works with Linux?

Ok, I'll be honest--my problem is more profound. Suppose I get Linux to recognize the board. How do I then get my HP6200 scanner to work with it? I've installed the SANE package. Can I just use the scanimage command, or do I need to monkey around in the /dev directory to set up a device?

Any help would be much appreciated.

--David Weissmann