RE: SCSI card isn't recognized

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm still having problems getting my adaptec 1505 ISA scsi card recognized. During the boot process I always get "scsi hosts: 0" as a message. I get this same message whether I specify the scsi parameters as boot parameters aha152x io=0x340 irq=11, or enter them in the Kernel Configurator.

At this point I am using the Redhat Kernel Configurator to try to load the scsi module, with the following parameters:
Type: scsi_hosts
Module: aha152x
Arguments: aha152x=ioport=0x340 reconnect=1 scsiid=7 irq=11
These paratmeters work fine under NT.

When I look in /proc/scsi/scsi, it says  "no attached devices"

When I try modprobe aha152x, I get:
/lib/modules/preferred/scsi/aha152x.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

When I try lsmod, aha152x is not listed.
Some relevant lines are in /etc/conf.modules that I assume were entered automatically by Kernel Configurator.

I don't understand much about this. Using the Kernel Configurator (and I assume kerneld), shouldn't the system load the aha152x module on demand? What constitues a demand? Why does the module not show up in the lsmod list, and yet modprobe says the device is busy? What does the /proc/scsi/scsi message mean--that the scsi card has not been found, or that it has been found but no attached devices like a scanner are noted? Or are all these questions stupid and useless, given the boot message about 0 scsi hosts? Doesn't the default kernel installed by RH5.2 include generic scsi support??

Although I think all these failures make any twiddling I do with my scanner parameters pretty useless, for completeness:

/dev/scanner is a link to /dev/sga

/etc/sane.d/hp.conf reads
scsi HP
/dev/scanner

Typing scanimage --list-devices returns the pseudodrivers only, not my scanner.

Sorry for all these words and questions. No one around here has any Linux experience, and all the man pages and how-to's haven't helped me yet.