Re: Problem printing to network printers

To get this to work, you need to do several things...

1) The Linux machine must know a "name" for the printer, provided by some
DNS, BIND, HOSTS or other service.

Thus if you printer is called "HPLASER4" then "ping hplaser4.yourdomain.com"
MUST return a valid ping.

2) You must modify your PRINTCAP entry to reflect the above:

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default {}
lp0|hp4|hplaser4:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=hplaser4:\
        :rp=raw:\

(I did this from the printtool).

3) the /var/spool/lpd/lp0 directory must exist and contain the needed filter
and config files. Again print tool will do all of this for you.

4) Your TCP/IP services must be set up and running.

5) While not strictly necessary, make sure your printer(s) are online before
you reboot your linux box... Linux will then attach to the printer's
"queue"... and away you go!

-JMS
opjose ex-pressnet com