Re: 2 steps forward, one step back.

Jeff Schreiber wrote:

>     A couple of days ago, I was having problems with my system recognizing my
>     hard drive and CD Rom.  That I've got solved.
>
>     However, here's my new story:
>
>   1 Ran through the install... went to bed while it was installing the
>     packages.  Next morning I woke up to a flashing 12:00 on my clock,
>     so I had to start from scratch.

D'oh!

>   2 Run through from scratch... install finishes.  Go to reboot and I
>     get "missing operating system" when the system is booting up.

Either LILO was not installed at all or in the wrong place.
Did you tell it to use the MBR or the superblock?
If the latter, did you mark the partition active in fdisk?

>   3 Try 5.2 install [previously have used 5.0], try to 'install' rather than
>     upgrade.  When it's at that question, a message has appeared on the top
>     stating "unable to open /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc: no such file". Later on in
>     every install I'll end up with a "fatal error opening RPM database" before
>     the system aborts. (actually 3, 5, 6)
>
>   4, 7, 8 Went back to the 4.0 install.  Gets into the package install and
>     goes along.  eventually gets a package install of <xxx> failed: execution
>     of script failed.  First time it was for Makedev, second don't remember,
>     third sh-utils.  After that, the system freezes later on in the install.
>     The time with the sh-utils problem, it froze after sysklogd...I'm guessing
>     it has a dependancy for sh-utils and is looking for it?

Yikes.  If I were you, I'd stick with 5.2.
Do you have a CD or are you doing something else.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc grainsystems com