Re: Newbie Questions

Hello,

The first thing is that please use plain text to post e-mails to the mailing lists.

I may not be able to give you help on all your questions.  But the following should get you understand more.

If you install RedHat from CD-ROM, installation on the hard drive will not depend on the FAT32 partition.  Since RedHat will have its own partition, it doesn't matter what is in the other parts of the hard drive (if you install from CD-ROM).

If you have saved a copy of the RedHat Linux in the FAT32 partition, and you install from that partition instead of a CD-ROM, then you need to use the patch from RedHat.

However, in order to be able to boot from hard drive, the /boot partition of Linux has to be within cylinder 0 to cylinder 1023 in your hard drive.  Otherwise, it may not boot up at a later time.  Check if your partition is over cylinder 1023.  If so, you may to have a smaller /boot partition and fit that very small /boot partiton within 1023.

I am afraid that I could discuss with you about your modem problem because I am not sure about SupraExpress.

Regards,

Bevis