Re: Lilo

Craig Foot wrote:
> Kevin Colby wrote:
> >
> > A hundred times have I explained this on this list.  Oh, well...
>
> I realize how boring this must be to you, but your help in these matters
> is most appreciated. Us newbies spend a lot of time trying to come to
> grips with this totally foreign concept (I do,anyway) and it is help
> from people such as yourself and others on this list, that keep the
> fires burning.

Oh, I'm not upset.  It just seems to be too common a problem.

> > The trick is that you need to get LILO fixed.
> > If you're comfortable with using vi and the shell, the quickest
> > way to fix this is the following:
>
> Comfortable using vi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never even opened vi.
> I've been busy learning emacs commands and I'm not up to speed
> there yet, either.

Hmmmm...

> Following is my lilo.conf :-
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> timeout=50
> linear
> prompt
> default=dos
> vga=normal
> read=only
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
> label=linux
> root=/dev/hdb1
> other=/dev/hda0
> label=dos
> table=/dev/hda

This might actually be right.
Do the following and let me know what happens.

Run the install again.
Choose "Upgrade" and get to package selection.
Alt-F2 to get a shell.
/mnt/sbin/lilo -r /mnt

What does lilo report?
If it says...