SB AWE64 troubles...

I have just installed RedHat 5.2 (CD RPM's only...no updates yet).  After
the install, I ran sndconfig.  My card was identified correctly as a SB
AWE64 and I heard Linus talking.

When I run playmidi <filename>.mid I get a message stating No playback
device found.  When I use the -a option, it seems that the midi is playing
but there is no sound.

I checked dmesg and there were no errors reported for the soundblaster, or
the AWE.

I am new to the Linux scene...as such I am still trying to get things
sorted out.  What do I need to update in order to get my SB card to start
playing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave