dump

I'm not sure if this is the right list for such a question and if not I
would appreciate a pointer to the correct list.

I have a P350 with 128MB ram and 4 8Gig hard drives (ide),
not all the space is partitioned.
I am trying to get backups working with an HP C1536A SCSI DAT drive
(DDS-1)

I tried
/sbin/dump 0uBf 4000000 /dev/nst0 /home
I got a bunch of output lines and everything looked fine
the next day I logged in and apparently dump had locked up
I killed dump and then I did
restore Cf /dev/nst0
when it asked me for the next volume I said none.
after that I got a bunch of error messages which I forgot to write down.

does dump do compression?
should I have told it that I have a 2Gig tape?
did my logout bomb dump?

				-Claudius Li
				 aprentic retina min net
				 410-662-8092