Re: IDE support in RH install?

Kevin Colby wrote:

> Okay, I feel _really_ stupid.
> I've been answering questions on this list for nearly two
> years, and I'm having trouble with the simplest of things.
>
> I have an older 486 system with an ISA IDE controller
> I am trying to install RH 5.1 on.  When I boot the install
> disks, hda and hdb (cdrom) are properly recognized by the
> kernel according to dmesg, BUT once in the install I
> can't find any IDE devices at all.  Not only does the

Kevin,

I had a similar problem with a couple of old 486es with IDE drive
controllers.  In my situation I had a master and a slave, but only one of the
drives was showing up during the 5.1 install.  This same machine had worked
fine during a 4.2 install, so I was puzzled!  I was still scratching my head
at the time when Redhat5.2 was released, so I tried a 5.2 install, and both
drives were recognised correctly.

I don't know if yours is the same problem, but I'd suggest trying the same
machine with a 5.2 install.

Tim.

Please note my new phone number......
Tim Rayner - Networks Officer         | Email : trayner csu edu au
             Murray Campus            |  Mail : P.O. Box 789, Albury,NSW, 2640
             Charles Sturt University | Phone : (02) 6051 9886