kernel upgrade confusion!

I want to upgrade my kernel so I can install new pcmcia drivers for my cardbus
controller. In reading the RedHat documentation on upgrading the kernel, it
states:

"The methodology for this upgrade is pretty simple. Check what version of RPM
you have installed. Compare that version number against any updates on the ftp
site.If the ftp site has a later version, you will need to download it and
upgrade the package."

On all of these ftp mirror sites, the kernel versions are no newer than the one
that I have. However, on some RPM sites there are kernel versions way in to the
3.0.3 range. In following RedHat's advice, I need to keep the one that I have.
How do I know when to upgrade to some of the newer versions?

-confused