Re: booting from a floppy but with the kernel on hdd

Paul Newman pgen com wrote:

> I want to boot linux from a floppy but with the kernel on my hdd. The reason is
> that I can't get LILO to boot win95, but it boots linux fine. The only way I can
> boot win95 now is the compact boot manager on Ranish Partition Manager, or from
> a floppy I have tried some other things including the advanced boot manager
> inside Ranish Partition Manager and making a new MBR from fdisk & partition
> manager. I think I messed up the MBR or the FAT by using partition manager or
> FIPS. Anyway, only booting win95 is the prob, everything else is OK.
> After installing RH5.2, How do I set up a boot floppy to boot up linux but using
> a kernel on the HDD?
> Thanks

two easy options :)

1. edit /etc/lilo.conf
  change the boot=
  line to say /dev/fd0 (drive A)
  then run /sbin/lilo with a floppy
  in the drive.

2. run /sbin/lilo -b /dev/fd0
   the command line options override
   what is in /etc/lilo.conf :)

what is your partition/disk layout?
Lilo should boot win9x fine.
Do you have any other OSes on the machine
that 'need' the Ranish stuff?

I've never had trouble with lilo booting
M$ stuff. I'll help you set it up.

Sent the output from 'fdisk -l' in linux,
/etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf, and tell me where
Win9x is (hda1, hda2....).

Send to me not the list :)

	-Thomas