Re: More Bash Scripting

Normally, if I'm writing a script that has some kind of
counting or incrementing (like in a loop) I'll do it like
this... (I'd also use a file to keep the value of the current
counter) ... in the case below, if you want to move all
files to a specific filename scheme that is somehow numbered
you could do this...

------------
:

if [ ! -s "COUNTERFILE.txt" ] #make counter file if it doesn't exist
then
    echo "0" > COUNTERFILE.txt
fi

if [ ! -s "filestore.dir" ]   #make file storing directory file
then
    touch filestore.dir
fi

CTR=`/bin/cat COUNTERFILE.txt`
DONE="N"
TEST=`/bin/ls -1 | grep -v "filestore" | wc -l`
if [ $TEST -gt 0 ]
then
    for FILE in `/bin/ls -1 | grep -v "filestore"`
    do
      CTR=`expr $CTR + 1`
      echo "Value of CTR is $CTR"
      /bin/mv $FILE filestore$CTR
      echo "OLD [$FILE] NEW [filestore$CTR]" >> filestore.dir
    done
    echo "$CTR" > COUNTERFILE.txt
fi

The *expr* is the key to get the mathmetics to occur.
I've never tried multiplication or division though
I do know that addition and subtraction work just as well.

The above script is untested, but it's awfully close to
use as far as something that I'd set up in a cronjob that
look for files in directories in order to catalog them and
move them around with a unique naming convention.

Tyler