Re: Email clients

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 12:27:53PM -0400, Peter Smith wrote:
| Hello all --
|
| This isn't strictly an install question, but its a 'right after install for lo
ts of us' question.

| Is there a preferred email client that runs under Gnome? I see that there are
many to choose from, but since installing a new program is still a task that tak
es weeks of planning and costs hundreds of lives for me, I'd just as soon do it
only once. Heh. I figure if there's a client that's semi-standard, I'd just go w
ith that for now.

Well, I'm a tty person myself. I'm growing very fond of mutt, which I've
moved to recently. (I'm not big on GUI mail clients - too much limping
around with mice etc - slow and tiring.) Doesn't quite scale to my big
mail folders, but the smaller ones with only a few thousand items work
fine.

There's no such thing as a "recommended mailer". Welcome to the open
standards world - you use anything you like (except MS Outlook, which
is evil).

Anyway, I like mutt. Does attachments, PGP, threading, various folder
types, lets me use the editor of my choice (vi) - most tty based mailed
do that; the GUIfied ones seem always to supply their own. Ick :-(

The neat thing about the tty mailers is that you can use 'em from
anywhere; remotely via telnet or ssh, on the console without X, etc
etc. And they _are_ faster to use than the GUI ones.

Elm (Easy to Learn Mailer) and Pine (Pine Is Not Elm) are also fine.

My GF uses Netscape for email, and seems happy.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs zip com au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
	- Edmund Burke (1729-1797)