compatible laptops

Hi,

I am trying to choose a laptop and be able to use linux on it (and install
it) without difficulty.  I looked at the web site and could not find a list
of compatible laptops.  I'de appreciate to hear of any good experiences to
save me having to spend the rest of the 20th century trying to set it up
with Linux,  I have in mind the Dell Inspiron 7500, this is a c466 with
DVD.  Any advice ? if this is going to give problems, I would appreciate to
know which high spec ones, espacially with DVD and at least 14.1" screen,
would be ok (inc Powerbooks).

Thanks,
Mohammad Nabulsi.