hibernation in linux?

there are some options in bios concerning with power. for examples : moniter shutdown, hard disk sleep(?.i'm not sure), suspend, hibernation. i can use this features in win98 in my same laptop.

is it possible to use it in linux system?

desired situation is like this :
just power-on my computer and read some books simultaneously without hearing computer noise(i think it's from hard disk)

thx..
if u couldn't understand my silly english, plz let me know.
i'll try again to make it more clear!