Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 video card...

Ok, here is another question. I have the Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 video card. I also have a "Proview" 19" monitor. I have the manual for the monitor that tells me the frequencies for the vertical and horizontal scan rates, so I am not worried about the monitor.

I can get X to come up in 1280x1024x8bpp mode, but I really would like a true color mode. If I don't give X any of the 8bit resolutions, X is very unhappy. I have tried the drivers from nVidea, but get the same results. I don't know how to make changes to the XF86Config file to make it work and running xf86config just get's the results mentioned above.

When setting up the video in the install, it didn't recognize any of the res's higher than 640x480, however, it did seem to switch to the different pixel depths of 640x480. I couldn't verify that, because I decided to install in text mode because of something I saw in the manual. Probably didn't need to, but I was doing a badblock scan that I really didn't need to do and wanted to restart anyway.

Any ideas on the X problem?
Thanks,
Dave