Re: unexpected inconsistency

Denice: Thanks a million, I am back in business. I did exactly what you mention in your reply. by the is this a common occurrance in Red hat or is there a proper procedure to shut it down. I usually shutturn my computer off when I see the login screen. Hope, I ma not doing something wron in shutting down. Again thanks a million, it is working now. Onkar

From: Denice <deatrich lcavsun1 epfl ch>
To: redhat-install-list redhat com
Subject: Re: unexpected inconsistency
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:31:48 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Onkar Mahay wrote:

> My linux gurus:
>
> I have installed the Red hat linux at least 3 times. Now I getting a
> message /dev/hda6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e ,
> without -a or -p options)
> and then it says
>
> *An error occured during the file system check. Dropping you to a shell;
> the system will reboot.
> Give root password for maintenance. or type control D for normal startup.
>
> When I push control-D it brings my right back with lots of messages passing
> saying failed. Secondly, I know the root password, but do not know how to
> perform maintain with fsck.

Normally, when a system is reset in a non-elegant fashion (that is, you pushed the power button or the reset button or a power outage occurred) the disks need to be checked. The system does this automatically on boot up. Occassionally 'fsck' gets into trouble, and needs your help. This is what you are seeing.

The correct procedure is:

  -   enter the root password if required
  -   fsck /dev/hda6       (according to your message above)
    --> now you have to answer   y   or    n   to the questions.
        Generally, you will just answer 'y' to each question and hope
        for the best.  See 'man e2fsck'

      In case you still have problems, you can try running fsck using
      an alternate superblock:
      fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda6      (locations of superblocks can be
                                   found by running 'dumpe2fs')

  -   when you are done running 'fsck' enter control-D  to continue the
      bootup.

--
denice.deatrich @ NospaM.epfl.ch, EPFL - LCAV / LCM PH: +41 (21) 693-5643
(If replying by email please remove 'NospaM' from address.)