No login prompt at runlevel 3, nor telnet

After 3 months without problems, I suddenly couldn't log in with telnet
anymore.
The issue.net was there, but there was no login-prompt.
After rebooting, I also couldn't loggin at the console.
I see a prompt, but after typing my login, I appears again (not asking
for a password)

FTP works still fine, as linuxconf throught http. With that I changed te
default
runlevel to 5, and there I could log in! (with Gnome).

At startup I have 1 error: syslog: starting syslogd [failed]

What is the problem?
I'm desperate....

P.S. The last thing I Installed where the Frontpage extensions for
Apache (Did they mixed up?)

--
Pascal