.htaccess Doesn't Work

I've got my Apache server finally working...

Now I've set up some pages and blah blah blah...

My problem is when I try to restrict access to a specific directory using
the .htaccess file.

I created one with the following entries:

AuthUserFile /crap/.htpasswd
AuthName Pouchie Login
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET>
require valid-user
</Limit>

Then, I chmod'd the .htaccess file to 755.
Then, I changed directory to /crap and ran htpasswd -c...

This created the .htpasswd file for me.
I chmod'd the /crap folder to 755, and chmod'd the .htpasswd file to 755.

Then I created a test index.html file in /crap that had just the following:

<HTML>
Test secure file.
</HTML>

However, if I type in:  http://199.43.143.3/protected

I just get the test index.html file from /crap that I created showing up
without
any prompt for authentication.

I checked my httpd.conf file to make sure that the AuthFileName is set to
.htaccess, and it was.

So, just for good measure, I restarted the httpd service, and it still
doesn't work...

ANYBODY KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS/WHAT TO DO/WHAT ELSE TO CHECK?

Thanks,
  -= Kyle =-