RE: changing X resolution

The easiest way I know of is to edit the XF86Config file manually.  The
file's format is fairly straightforward.  The area you are looking for is
near the bottom.  To start with execute the following command:

startx > /tmp/x.out 2>&1

This will create a text file of all the information concerning your X
session start up.  If you examine this file you will find the name of the X
Server, Graphics Device and Monitor that X is using.  Then open XF86Config
and find the Screen section with the same information.  Under this you will
see a line listing Modes.  You most likely have only one listed here.  As
you can see from the snippet below, simply list all the modes that you would
like separated by spaces.  Note, X will filter out modes that are not
compatible with your monitor and video card settings also listed in this
file.

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "My Video Card"