Re: Internet for Roving Notebook?

You can certainly configure an ethernet card and dialup and run both
at the same time.  How a connection attempt is handled will depend
on your routing table.  Given your situation, I'd suggest getting
very familiar with the basics of routing ("man route").

Whenever you connect to any IP, your routing table will determine
which network interface (eth0, ppp0, etc.) actually gets the packets.
There will be specific network and host routes for various connections,
but the default route ("default" or "0.0.0.0") is the "route of last
resort", so to speak.  If you can setup your dialup in such a way
that your default route is properly manipulated as your connection
mode varies, it will work quite well.  I'm not sure if pppd will
create a default route if there already is one, so you may need to
edit the dialup script to first drop that route and put it back
when your dialup session is over.

I did this once about 2 or 3 years ago, so any details are long
forgotten, but that is the gist of it.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc grainsystems com