kernel 2.4.1

After using linux for over a year and a half I am ashamed to admit what
a newbie I still seem to be:  dowloaded, installed, built, 2.4.0, then
2.4.1, just to show myself how good I was getting.  In neither can I get
pppd to function.  Can find and open modem, dial out to ISP, but get
immediate failure at PAP and disconnect.  Error msgs indicate error with
ioctl,PPPIOC...I don't recall the rest.  Who are these ioctl's, where
are they and what can I do about them?  I assume the new kernel had some
affect though I cannot figure out where.  Man page for pppd only
identifies error=1 as fatal probably due to some inconsistency.  Thanks
for any guidance.

Richard

"Just when I thought I was getting out of the woods..."