3com etherlink III not detected

I am installing RH7 on a dell inspiron 7500
with a 3com etherlink III 3c589d card
I have checked on compatibility lists in RH website and
I found that it is supported.

The problem is that while performing a workstation installation
I do not get the network configuration screen, which I assumed
means that the network card is not  properly detected.

I stopped the installation and did an expert boot using
pcmcia.img and the card was not detected, either.

From RH website it looks like the corresponding driver is
3c589_cs.o which should be in the installation CD.

However, the expert boot with pcmcia.img  was looking for
the 3c509 module when I specified 3com etherlink III card.
tried other 3com card names and didn't work.

Could somebody tell me how to make thos card work
with RH linux?
I don't know what else to try.

thanks