Xconfig on Gateway Solo 5300?

Greetings,
This is a re-posting of a Q about getting graphics up on my new laptop.
 I had a change of ISPs in the midst of my first try, and many of my
messages did not get out.  I hope the lack of responses was not due the
insurmountability of my problem!
I am a newbie with a new Gateway laptop that has Win Me, and which I
want to install RH 7.0 (which worked splendidly on my old Compaq
laptop).  During install, it warned me of a problem with graphics
card/screen, and suggested I run Xconfigurator after the install.
 Install went fine, and I tried the Xconfig with a few settings that
seemed like they'd be 'close.'  But I panicked, in fear of frying the
system (I don't have the knowlege to know when I'm pushing the 'clock'
or refresh rates or etc., that one is often warned about)
Anyway, all of RH is 'on,' but no graphics.  All the information that I
can find from manuals/website is:
    Screen: LCD/TFT, 1024x768 pix
    Chip: S3 Savage/IX (Macrovision) (X config had a number of S3/Savage
chips, and I even tried a "generic LCD"         screen, but to no avail)
    Memory: 8 mb
Is there a parallel configuration I can try?  Is a kernel update necessary?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Christopher Gardner