RE: Home Network

Like I said I'm really naive at this.  The cheep box is a cheapo hub (4 port
10/100 - $19 US)

If 7.1 installed ipchains/iptables by it's self then yes they are installed
as I didn't use them.

OK here is the full setup

My corner of my wife's bedroom - Dell GX1, 350Mhz, Pentium III with RH 7.1
goes to hub under sewing table (wife's not mine).  I have a 4 port wall
adapter on wall under sewing machine.  Cat5 wires going to two bedrooms (son
Sam, daughter Audrey).  one Cat5 wire goes down two floors to basement to
spare bedroom/room of exile.

Nice color printer in my corner, cheep color printers in son and daughters
rooms, B&W printer in basement with scanner.  CD writer in My computer.

Future plans, second hub in basement with Cat5 wire going up through floor
to family room.  Also more Cat5 to different rooms (radio room) in basement.

Repeat of problem.  Linux box does not always see windows machines and at
the same time windows boxes do not see Linux box.  But if I tinker, do ping,
shutdown and restart, stand of left foot while reading Nutshell everything
works - I can transfer files or print to different printers.  That lasts
until I reboot or fall off left foot.

Thanks

Brad