Re: can't get redhat 7.2 install to mount cdrom (newbie)

works great, thanks.

Not sure why, but I had to supply the path (/sbin/depmod -ae) to get it to run.
I have only just starting experimenting with Linux, so far it look great.

Regards
Kon Tantos

Orvo Leinonen wrote:

Hello
Running the command as root "
# depmod -ae should solve this issue. Additionally,

***

We have found an installer related bug in some hardware set-ups. After
an installation of 7.2 or upgrade of an existing system, these units
report "/dev/cdrom not a valid
block device" causing the mount to fail and a possible system crash.
Running the command as root "depmod -ae" should solve this issue.
Additionally, upgrading to the latest
kernel errata will solve this issue.

To view the bug report: Bugzilla 55071 ***
kon tantos wrote:

hi,

I have installed red hat 7.2 from cd & now cannot read cd from linux.
The pc is dual boot & the win98 os has no problem with the cd, also if I
reboot with the red hat install cd, the installation program happily
starts up from the cd.

when i attempt to use usermount to mount the cd I receive the error:
   'mount /dev/hdd is not a valid block device'
I had the red hat documentation cd in the drive at the time. I can read
the cd from win98.

my /etc/fstab file currently contains the line:
   '/dev/hdd               /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,user,ro 0 0'

the original line was:
   '/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0'

which also did not work.
I changed /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdd because the hardware browser indicated
that the cdrom was device /dev/hdd. it also lists the driver as 'unknown'

also if I run gtcd from a shell prompt it produces an error msg of
   'error accessing cdrom device' ... Reason no such device or address

any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Kon Tantos