Why boot floppy doesn't work

I tried ot install Linux server with minimum packages. Because I have
old cdrom (6 year old) drive which can not be set up in
the BIOS for visiting before hard drive,  I tried to use boot floppy to
start first.  However, every time boot from boot floppy the message
show:
running install...
running /sbin/loader
install exited abnormally -- received signal 11
Does anyone has clue what is going on?

I also tried several options:
boot: linux sda=cdrom lowres
boot: linux sda=/dev/cdrom lowres
boot: linux rescue
boot: linux lowres noprobe

none of them works.    Is there any way to work around, either boot from
cdrom or change /sbin/loader?  Thanks,
-Hong