Modify kernel parameters

Need more Shared memory and file handles for RH4.2 and 7.3 systems.  I know
I can modify temporarily by writing to /proc/.../file-max.  Is there a
config file someplace that I should put this config info to have it always
used, or do I just kludge it by having a script modify at init???  also,
what are available kernel parameters modifiable via this and/or /proc.
Thanks.