How can I make RH7.3 Linux Running Faster?

Hi All,

I have installed RH7.3 Linux on a machine which is Celeron 1GHz with 512MB
RAM.  When I open any kind of applications inside KDE, I need to wait 2 to 3
seconds before new application windows come out.  Therefore, I would like to
know that is it possible to make the Linux machine running much faster?

Thanks very much for your help in advanced.

Cheers, Ken