redhat 7.3 and S3 video chipset

I have installed Redhat 7.3.  Everything appears to
work except X windows.
My computer is a Compaq Presario with the S3 Trio64V2
chipset video.

The install ran fine.  But it would not start with a
graphic login and startx errors with messages about
unable to parse XF96Config.

After much research I see that xfree 4 and Redhat 7.3
do not support S3 chips.  How can I make X work?