PHP - HOW TO MAKE IT WORK ?

Hi,

After many hours of searching  FAQ's in vain, can some good soul help me

get PHP to work ?

I installed RedHat 7.2 about a week ago (my first Linux intallation)
without any significant problems and everything seemed to be working
fiine
until I tried PHP (with famous test "Hello World"). PHP refuses to send
me
that greeting. It looks like the PHP module needs to be activated.

I found the following lines in my httpd.conf :

<IfDefine> HAVE_PHP4>
LoadModule php4-module
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine> HAVE_PHP4>
AddModule php4-module.c
</IfDefine>

And the following lines in the Apache startup script :

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/apache ] ; then
        . /etc/sysconfig/apache
fi
start() {
        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
        daemon $httpd `moduleargs` $OPTIONS
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/httpd
        return $RETVAL
}

The "Apache Aministrator's Handbook" I'm using says that to activate
modules, Apache should be started with /usr/sbin/httpd -D<name>.
Is it correct to assume that  some "options" should be passed to the
function start() from the file ./etc/sysconfig/apache ?
I cannot find that file in my system.
Can someone give me some direction on how to create it or where can I
find
instructions to create it.

Thanks, Joe Fazenda