Re: Ping myself

If you bound 192.168.1.1 to your NIC, it'll work whether you unplug the
network cable or not.. because you're pinging the interface.  If you can
not ping the other machine on your network, then I'd think that perhaps
there is a subnet mismatch maybe??  Can you ping your default gateway
from your system?  Can you ping the default gateway and/or the linux
system from your laptop?

Anthony