Exabyte Mammoth-2

Title: Exabyte Mammoth-2

Hello,

How do I enable compression for this tape drive? I have a Exabyte Mammoth-2 tape drive using Exabyte 225m AME tapes.  I have looked around the Internet searching for information on how to do this, but I can only find information saying that it's compatible and it works with Linux.

I am using a standard "tar" command to write the data to tape, until recently it has not been a problem as we never had enough data to fill up the tape.  But now we do and I cannot figure out how to enable compression, does anyone else have this tape drive and are able to get compression working???

When I issue the command "mt -f /dev/st0 status" I get the following message...

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x28 (unknown to this mt).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

I am running the following...

RedHat v6.2 on a Compaq Proliant with 120GB of diskspace.  Running kernel version 2.2.14-5 SMP with 256mb of memory.

Thanks in advance.

Tom