Re: vmware

Visit http://www.vmware.com to see what it is, how to download it and what
it will cost.

In a nutshell, it's a Virtual Machine on Linux (or other OSes) which allows
you to install a second (or additional) OS on your Linux box.

I received an email newsletter some time ago which contained a review of the
product. At that time, it was reported that a major New York law firm, which
was running on a Windows NT network, had frequent crashes, which they
estimated cost them thousands of dollars in lost attorney billable time.
They installed Red Hat Linux on their PCs, then installed VMWare, then
re-installed NT in the virtual machine on Linux and their incidents of the
"Blue Screen of Death" literally disappeared. The savings in lost revenue
due to PC downtime more than made up the cost of VMWare, which I beleive is
about 300 U.S. dollars for commercial use. I think you can get an individual
license for about 100 U.S. dollars.

One advantage I can think of right now is the ability of creating a virtual
machine which takes up a filesystem in Linux that you can backup to a single
DLT or DAT3 or DAT4 tape drive and then re-install completely without
worrying about Windows weak backup schemes.

Just my thoughts...

Karl L. Pearson
Senior Consulting Systems Analyst
Senior Consulting Database Analyst