Re: monitor refresh rate

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:18:36AM -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:47:39PM +0100, Duncan Hill wrote:
> > Urm.  Both RH 8 and RH 9 auto-detected what monitor I have plugged into the
> > video card - model and all.  Thus, such capability must exist in some form.
>

> Kudzu is clearly usiong the DDc probe capability.  After identifying the
> monitor it looks up the monitor's capabilities in the file:
>
> /usr/share/hwdata/MonitorsDB
>

> But I would still like to understand how a DDC probe works.

For anyone still interested in this:
http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/

has a program to read your monitors capabilities and print them out in a
format suitable for using in an X-config file.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz kinz org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an