RE: Dual NIC issue

>  Ok.. I've got another issue with my dual NICs.. I am sure
>  it's operating as designed.. But I need to know how to change it.
>
>  NIC 1: 136.202.34.144
>  NIC 2: 136.202.31.12
>  NIC 3: 136.202.31.29

These are all the same Class B network, a 255.255.0.0 normal mask,
your subnet mask
had better be something like 255.255.255.0 in order to
split them into two networks. You also must have NIC three
setup as the default gateway somewhere.

>  Now, NIC 1 is the only card plugged in to the general
>  network.  NIC 2 and 3 are on a private network, but the 31
>  subnet is used elsewhere on the general network.
>
>  If I go to ping a device, say 136.202.31.16 on the general
>  network, it tries to use NIC 3, instead of NIC1, is there
>  anyway to force the issue?

Now if you really need to use the same Class B address space on both sides
of the box and cant change from a 255.255.0.0 or so netmask,
you really need to have some form of Learning Bridge
software running on the box. LB will learning the IP to mac
addresses of all hosts on the attached networks and
bridge the traffic accordingly. I dont know if LB software
exists under Linux. Standard IP routing software assumes
that each network interface plugs into a different network.
You can "fake it out" with subnet masks as long as the third octet here
is masked to form unique Network address portions on each interface.