Re: GRUB Error

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 08:43, Jayaprasad Rao K wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have problem with configuration of GRUB.  (LILO works fine).
>
> My PC configuration is :
> ASUS motherboard with a nvidia chipset
> AMD 2.2 GHz processor and 256 MB Hundai RAM.
> Samsung samtron 56V monitor.
> Samsung 40GB, (7200rpm) harddisk.
>
> when I have installed Linux 7.3 with GRUB as a boot loader.
> In GRUB while booting if I select windows XP, it is working fine,
> but if I select linux, then I get following error :
>         Booting 'Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)'
>         root (hd0,1)
>         Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
>         [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x10ea0d]
>         Error 28 : Selected item cannot fit into memory
>         Press any key to continue . . . . .

Try setting the memory when you boot, when grub screen
appears hit 'a' and append 'mem=256M' (or whatever amount
of ram you have) and hit enter.

If that fixes it then change your grub.conf to use that
parametre on the kernel line.

> I got the following solution in Internet, and did the same thing, but
> same error still exists.
> Please give me the solution.
>
> The solution I got is :
>         Boot with the RH crom1.
>         Select linux rescue.
>         Login as root.
>         At the prompt: type chroot /mnt/sysimage
>         At the prompt: type grub
>         In the grub utility type: root (hd0,1)
>         (you should see a message stating that the Filesystem type is
>         ext2fs, partition type 0x83. If you don't see that, you
>         slected the wrong partition and should change it accordingly.
>         For instance, root(hd0,2) would be used if the "/" is located
>         on the first drive and third partition.)
>         Now type setup (hd0)
>         That is using the MBR of the first hard drive.
>         If the first two commands don't work, try this from the
>         prompt: grub-install /dev/hda
>         Then retry the first two commands. :)
>         Now type quite to exit the grub utility.
>         Reboot the computer.
>
> - Jayaprasad.
> ____________________________________
> Jayaprasad Rao K.
> Software Engineer
> Networks - GSM Division
> Sasken Communication Technologies Limited
> 139/25, Ring Road, Domlur
> Bangalore - 560071 India
> Tel: + 91 80 5355501 Extn: 5157
> Fax: + 91 80 5351133

> SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
>
> This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

One Guy Coding                      http://oneguycoding.com
Montreal, Quebec                    steeve oneguycoding com
:wq

        In the beginning I was made. I didn't ask to me made. No one
        consulted me or considered my feelings in this matter. But if it
        brought some passing fancy to some lowly humans as they
        haphazardly pranced their way through life's mournful jungle
        then so be it. - Marvin the Paranoid Android