physical memory support under RHEL for Opteron

Guy Rouillier guy-rouillier at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 1 04:11:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:52:32 -0800
Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

>Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am just about to order an dual Opteron 248 server to run under RHEL AS.
>>
>> I would like to double check the physical memory supported - we are getting
>> 8 x 2GB PC3200 or PC2700 memory on this server.
>>
>> I have found something a bit obscure on the RH web page:
>>          ___http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/as/_
>>
>> in that it said:
>>
>> **** 64GB is the maximum memory size for X86 systems. Maximum memory
>> sizes vary with other architectures.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm
>> a. the maximum memory size for Opterons supported, and
>> b. the maximum usable physical memory per process on user applications
>
>As I understand it, RHEL AS3 is available only as an x86 package (in
>other words, 32-bit).  As such, it is limited to the same 64GB limit as
>any 32-bit OS.  The per-process limit is 2^32 bytes (4GB).

We just got this at work in order to run an AMD64 version of Oracle.  See the following: RH makes an AMD64-specific version of AS3, which is 64-bit.  Something is strange about the chart on that page, as they claim 64 GB on x86 but on 16 GB on AMD64.  How can you get > 4 GB physical memory on   32-bit hardware?  Are they talking about Intel's PAE?

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/configuration/

>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>-           Denial.  It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore!         -

Guy Rouillier