Linux Visibility on Microsoft Network

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Apr 8 18:30:18 UTC 2004

Wesa, Richard (GE Consumer & Industrial) wrote:
> Mark,
> Very nice dissertation. Thanks for all of the keystrokes. I agree with much of what you said.
> As you may have guessed, General Electric has a HUGE Microsoft network.
> Recent rumor says GE is considering conversion of servers to Linux for two reasons.
> 1. Viruses
> 2. Licensing costs
> I'm sure the thousands of workstations will remain Windows for quite some time.
> I just thought I would get ahead of the game and experiment with a Linux server and play around
> with security. Maybe even use it for some real server work on the network for my clients.
> Thanks again for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
> Have a wonderful Easter weekend.
> Richard

Richard,
    GE is so HUGE that I'll bet it's already happening somewhere inside
the company. If you could find those people and leverage off of their
work you might get something going at your location more easily. Trick
is to find those people. Sometimes large companies, but MUCH smaller
than GE, have task forces for things like this. Maybe there's some
company wide infrastructure for figuring this stuff out?

    If not, then maybe it's your chance to bring a good idea to life! ;-)

- Mark