Re: How to nework two linux computers

Bob McClure Jr wrote:

Allow me to expand on Bob's excellent comments...

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:42:37AM -0700, Ashok Patel wrote:

Thanks for receiving positive reples from linux folks
regarding bringing Grub boot menu back into my
computer.

I have following two concerns.

As I had said earlier, I have two computers (AMD 550
Mhz and P4, 1.4 Ghz) each having Fedora Core I and
multiple windows partitions.

High speed internet works fine on Windows and Fedora
Core 1 partitions of each computer. I have netwoked
(Windows) both computers successfully through
ethernet.

However, I do NOT know how to setup network in Fedora
Core 1. Would anybody give me some idea as to how to
network these two computers for Fedora Core systems

Have you run redhat-config-network?

Yes, you should run that. You didn't say how you ran the network on both computers--via ethernet or via a dial-up or DSL modem. The program Bob mentioned should show either "eth0" (ethernet) or "ppp0" (modem) if Fedora actually found your hardware. It's pretty good at finding ethernet cards. However, if you used a "winmodem" to do dial up, you may have a problem. Out of the box, Fedora has very limited support for winmodems.

There are other drivers out there, but many of the modem makers won't
release specifications for their chipsets, so an open source driver may
not be available.  In those cases, you're best off to go spend the $40
US and buy a real, honest-to-God serial modem.  They work on ANYTHING.

Another concern. I want to be able to: (1) view and
edit windows partitions "from" Fedora Core 1
partition;

Have you Read The Fine Manual:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-q-and-a-windows.html

(Yes, that's for RH 9, but is mostly applicable to FC1.)

Fedora, as distributed, only understands VFAT (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32) Windows filesystems. If you have NTFS filesystems you want to play with, you must either go get a pre-compiled NTFS module or rebuild your kernel and include NTFS support in it. Note that there are two different modules--one that's read-only and one that's read-write. I do NOT recommend the read-write module. In the past it has been known to corrupt the NTFS partition beyond the ability for chkdsk to fix it. I understand the newer ones don't do that, but I'm very wary of it.

and (2) view and edit Fedora Core 1
partitions "from" windows partition.

Windoze doesn't believe any other partitions exist. Sorry.

Right. Windows understands FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS. That's it. Microsoft likes to believe that nothing in the world exists except their horrid products.

Each Windows partitin in each computer is FAT32 type.
Linux partition in each computer is standard by
default (I think, ext2 type).

Any help please....

Thanks again...
Ashok Patel
ashokpatel yahoo com

Cheers,

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -