upgrade to RHEL from earlier versions

David Morgan dmorgan1 at dslextreme.com
Sun Apr 18 02:54:12 UTC 2004

The official story says no, but are there ways and means to upgrade a
RedHat8 or RedHat 9 system to RHEL?

I teach linux at UCLA. Till now RedHat9 was our platform, but going
forward they intend to adopt RHEL at my recommendation. I've invested
time over the past year or two preparing software installations,
demonstrations, presentation files and such on a RedHat system from
which I teach. Reinventing those customizations on a virgin, clean-slate
OS installation is a non-option (simply don't and won't have the time to
reconstuct and repeat my work).

Exploring RHEL CDs for the first time, I understand that "Support for
upgrading to Red Hat Enterprise Linux from a previous version of Red Hat
Linux is not included with this product." Release Notes also refer to
www.redhat.com/software/linux/advanced/ on this subject but I don't
easily find that discussion there.

I don't want to change my mind about having the University move to RHEL
for my future classes, but am not yet clear on what my chances are to be
able to manage it. It rests on ability to carry my earlier work forward
rather than having to discard it.

Anybody know the full story of what is and isn't possible in moving from
RedHat8 or 9 to RHEL without starting over?