Disk space issue during install.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Apr 20 20:47:15 UTC 2004

Jon Goodridge wrote:
> Rick,
>
>     I'll do future messages bottom posting.
>
>     I used Disk Druid to:
>         - Delete partition
>         - Create partition
>         - format partition
>         - set mount point of partition to "/".
>
>     I did not tell Disk Druid not to use the other partitions (not sure
> how to do this).  This may be the source of the problem.  Nothing
> jumped out at me as something I had to do.  I kind of got led down the
> golden path of setting the partition as root and going forward.   If
> install was trying to use the swap partition, then this is an install
> problem as it clearly said the swap partition was swap when if formated
> it.  The other partition to be come "/home" is the more likely
> canidate.  The amount of free space on /home would make sense with the
> amount of extra space it was telling me it needed.

That's possible.  IIRC, the partitions the system will try to install to
are marked with an "x" in one of the columns, but I won't swear to it
(haven't done an install on a pre-formatted disk in a while).  I suppose
it is possible that DD is seeing another partition labeled "/" or
"/home" and is trying to make use of it.

You might take a look at the other virtual consoles (CTRL-ALT-F1 through
-F4) and see exactly which filesystem is causing the problem.

> On Tuesday, April 20, 2004, at 02:52  PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Jon Goodridge wrote:
>>
>>> Rick,
>>>     I am trying to install a linux partition.  On the first attempt
>>> the partition was already a linux partition that was created by
>>> Mandrake's partition tool. I just used Disk Druid to format the
>>> partition to delete the old junk there. Later I used Disk Druid to
>>> delete, create, format and set the partition's mount point as the
>>> root.  Same results.  Another reason I am sure that the install
>>> program thinks it is a Linux partition is that install copies some
>>> install files to the partition.  When I reboot in Mandrake and look
>>> at the partition, I find the partition as it should be, a 4GB linux
>>> partition with 20KB of used space.
>>>     For someone reason the install is just getting confused about
>>> the  partition size.   Or is it me ?
>>

>> Well, leaving the confusion issue out of it, when you deleted the Linux
>> partition and told diskdruid to use that unallocated space, did you  also
>> tell it to make it "/" and to format it?  Did you also tell it to NOT
>> use the other Linux partitions (including the swap partition)?
>>
>> BTW, we prefer bottom-posting on this list.

>> --
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -      The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.      -

-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -