exclude irq in config.opts ignored and other pcmcia problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 21 16:16:50 UTC 2004

jonathan.share at syngenta.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed Fedora Core 1 on my laptop(more details provided on
> request). All devices were detected and installed correctly the only
> problems I am having are with my PCMCIA network card (Realtek RTL 8139
> based).
>
> Firstly on boot the kernel attempts to load the 8139cp driver which fails
> suggesting I use the 8139too driver. If after booting if I attempt to bring
> the interface up the 8139too driver gets installed without complaint. I do
> not understand why a different driver is selected here, can anyone enlighten
> me on this point?

I don't know why the 8139cp is being selected since it's not listed in
/etc/pcmcia/config, but the 8139too works for me just fine (granted
that it's not a PCMCIA card in my machine but built-in on the PCI bus).

Edit your /etc/modules.conf file and modify the "alias eth0 8139cp" line
to read "alias eth0 8139too".  The 8139too driver should load on your
next boot.

> Secondly configuration by DHCP sometimes fails sometimes doesn't. If I bring
> the interface up using manual configuration then pinging any other device on
> my network yields anywhere between 20 and 70% packet loss. This will not
> even support a telnet session. Investigation into this problem has shown me
> that all my devices are being piled on IRQ 5 and believe this could be part
> of my problem. I tried adding exclude irq 5 to my
> /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia/config.opts file but this appears to be ignored. What
> am I doing wrong?

I think you mean /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.  Judging by your description,
you're booting up with the card in place already.  Try booting with the
card unplugged, wait for the system to come up, THEN plug the card in
and see if it behaves differently.  I rather believe that that file is
only consulted if the card is plugged in after the machine is up, but
I've never delved deeply into the sequence of events of PCMCIA card
insertion.

I have a similar config, but everything lives on IRQ 11 (eth0, wlan0,
USB, firewire, audio accelerator and the cardbus bridges).  I doubt that
is your problem.
-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -