last thing question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 21 16:32:10 UTC 2004

GoijI P wrote:
> well, since security is not an issue for my small network, i use telnet
> (bad as something getting used to) to connect local HostA to remote
> HostB. This happens after Host A is connected to Host B via telnet and
> after done setenv ,,, xhost + ,,,, xterm etc.
> i cd to path that an HostB executable is and try to execute it remotely
> from HostA's xterm session but i get "command not found".

A telnet login is NOT the same as a direct login.  If you telnet to the
machine and log in, the path will be different than if you logged into
the machine directly from a console and the PATH variables will be set
differently.  In the telnet session, try "echo $PATH" and compare that
output with "echo $PATH" from a console login.  You'll see they're
different.  And if the program you want to run is not in the list of
directories shown in "echo $PATH", the system can't find the program to
run.

You can get by this by, in the telnet session, running the command by
specifying the entire path to the program:

	# /usr/bin/program-to-run

or by:
	# cd /usr/bin
	# ./program-to-run

(the "./" means "run a program in the current directory").

>  From Host B
> consol i run same command within same path , no problem.

The paths are different, as I said.
-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -